Pellets of the Pharaoh Eagle Owl Bubo ascalaphus were collected from Azraq Nature Reserve in the Eastern Desert of Jordan. Analysis of the content of the owl pellets yielded the remains of 107 individuals of prey representing 15 different species. Based on the numbers of individual prey items, 13.1% was represented by 3 insectivores (Hemiechinus aff. auritus, Crocidura suaveolens, and Suncus etruscus) and 73.8% by 4 rodents (Mus aff. musculus, Meriones libycus, Gerbillus nanus, and Jaculus jaculus). In total, mammals constituted 86.9% of the total number of prey items and 89.9% of the prey mass. We also identified 4 birds (Passer domesticus, Luscinia sp, Sylvia sp, one belonging to Alaudidae family), as well as 2 unidentified lizards, 1 snake, and 2 insects.
SHEHAB, ADWAN HUSSIEN and CIACH, MICHAL (2008) "Diet Composition of the Pharaoh Eagle Owl, Bubo ascalaphus, in Azraq Nature Reserve, Jordan," Turkish Journal of Zoology: Vol. 32: No. 1, Article 9. Available at: https://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/zoology/vol32/iss1/9