This study was performed to determine the incidence and anatomo-pathologic aspects of reproductive organ tumors in laying chickens. For this research, 10,475 16-18-month-old, commercial laying hens of the Babcock genotype were obtained from four flocks in Afyon city. They were examined right after slaughtering, and reproductive organ tumors in 804 hens (7.67%) were observed. Out of these 804 hens, leiomyoma was found in 760 hens (7.25%), oviduct adenocarcinoma in 39 hens (0.37%) and leiomyoma together with oviduct adenocarcinoma in 5 hens (0.05%) were detected. Oviduct adenocarcinomas were observed in the magnum of the oviduct in 43 cases (0.41%) and in the isthmus in one case (0.01%). Leiomyomas were detected in the ventral ligament of the oviduct in 763 cases (7.28%) and in the magnum of the oviduct in 2 cases (0.02%). In 40 cases of oviduct adenocarcinomas, metastases were observed in the intestines, pancreas, mesentery, spleen, gizzard and ovary. The macroscopic and light microscopic characteristics of these tumors were reported in detail.
Tumor, Reproductive Organ, Laying Hen
SÖNMEZ, GÜRSEL; ÖZYİĞİT, M. ÖZGÜR; and KAHRAMAN, M. MÜFİT (2002) "The Incidence and Pathology of Reproductive Organ Tumors in Chickens," Turkish Journal of Veterinary & Animal Sciences: Vol. 26: No. 1, Article 4. Available at: https://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/veterinary/vol26/iss1/4