Background/aim: It is still not known how an immunosuppressive state affects the response to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in children and adolescents. The aim of this study was to evaluate clinical characteristics, outcomes, and follow-up results of COVID-19 in pediatric patients with a history of immunocompromise or malignancy, retrospectively. Materials and methods: Patients with a diagnosis of COVID-19 who were under 18 years of age and had a history of immunosuppressive chronic disease or under immunosuppressant treatment were included in the study. Patients were applied to our outpatient clinic or consulted to our department in a tertiary center during the first year of the pandemic. Results: We evaluated 18 patients with a median age of 15.0 (0.6-17.8) years. Twelve patients (66.6%) were tested because of a symptom and the most common symptom was fever (44.4%, n = 8). Ten of the symptomatic patients (55.5% of all cohort) had a mild disease, the remaining two patients (11.1%) with an end-stage malignancy had critical diseases. Twelve patients (66.7%) were managed on an outpatient basis and were followed up at home, while the remaining six (33.3%) required hospitalization. One patient, who had Ewing sarcoma, died during the follow-up in the intensive care unit, and others were recovered without any morbidities. Lymphocyte (LYM) counts were significantly lower, C-reactive protein (CRP), and ferritin levels were higher in the individuals that needed hospitalization (p = 0.039, 0.027, and 0.039, respectively). Conclusion: Immunocompromised children and adolescents with COVID-19 should be monitored closely, especially those with an end-stage malignancy, low LYM count, or high CRP and ferritin levels.
Coronavirus, immunosuppression, kidney transplantation, leukemia, pediatrics
ERBAŞ, İREM CEREN; ASRAK, HATİCE KARAOĞLU; GÜZİN, AYŞE ÇAKIL; ALATAŞ, ŞİLEM ÖZDEM; AKYOL, ŞEFİKA; BAYRAM, MERAL TORUN; ÇEÇEN, REFİK EMRE; İNCE, DİLEK; TÜFEKÇİ, ÖZLEM; and BELET, NURŞEN
"The clinical follow-up and management of COVID-19 in children and adolescents withan immunocompromised state or a malignancy,"
Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences: Vol. 52:
3, Article 6.
Available at: https://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/medical/vol52/iss3/6