Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences
Background/aim: While poor sleep quality and sleep problems are signs of depression in adolescents, depressive symptoms among this age group further deteriorate sleep quality. The aim of this study was to explore the relationship between sleep quality and depressive symptoms in adolescents of 14 to 20 years of age. Materials and methods: This study was conducted with a descriptive and cross-sectional research design. The sample group consisted of 313 adolescents in İstanbul, Turkey. The data were collected using a questionnaire form, the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI), and the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI). Results: The mean BDI score of the adolescents was 12.99 ± 8.94 (range: 0-53) and 4.8% had severe depressive symptoms. The global PSQI score of the adolescents was 4.69 ± 2.87 (range: 0-16) and 63.6% had good sleep quality, whereas the remaining 36.4% had poor sleep quality. There was a moderate positive correlation between BDI and PSQI scores. The factors affecting the quality of sleep of adolescents were mild and moderate-severe depressive symptom level, smoking, and the presence of sleep problems in a family member. Conclusion: This study shows a relationship between sleep quality and depressive symptom levels of adolescents. The findings of the current research will contribute to the development of school wellbeing programs that will be prepared with the aim of improving sleep quality and reducing depressive symptoms.
Adolescent sleep, circadian rhythm, insufficient sleep, depression
DAĞ, BEGÜM and KUTLU, FATMA YASEMİN
"The relationship between sleep quality and depressive symptoms in adolescents,"
Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences: Vol. 47:
3, Article 1.
Available at: https://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/medical/vol47/iss3/1