Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences
Transradial approach in the diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease: a 2-center experience
To document the safety, success, and complications of transradial coronary procedures. Materials and methods: This retrospective study consisted of 427 patients who had undergone transradial coronary angiography and/or angioplasty between June 2010 and May 2012. The main outcome measures were the procedural safety, success rate, and complications associated with transradial interventions. Results: Procedural success rate was 93.2% (398/427), with cannulation time of 2.1 ± 1.4 min, diagnostic time of 5.6 ± 2.1 min, fluoroscopy time of 9.5 ± 6.6 min, and total procedure time of 47.1 ± 20.2 min. The main causes for unsuccessful procedures were failed radial puncture (11 patients), serious radial artery spasm (12 patients), and distinct tortuosity (5 patients) and severe proximal stenosis (1 patient) of the right subclavian artery. Of 398 patients, 345 (86.7%) underwent both coronary angiography and angioplasty, while the remaining 53 (13.3%) had coronary angiography only. Major complication was recorded in only 1 patient (transient ischemic attack), whereas minor complications were observed in 76 patients (17 with symptomatic sinus bradycardia, 12 with venous thrombosis, 22 with hematoma, and 25 with radial artery occlusion). Conclusion: Our experience revealed that the transradial approach is a safe and feasible method for coronary procedures in patients with various manifestations of coronary disease.
Radial artery, coronary disease, angiography, angioplasty
YURTDAŞ, MUSTAFA; KAYA, YÜKSEL; and GÖNÜLLÜ, EDİP
"Transradial approach in the diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease: a 2-center experience,"
Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences: Vol. 44:
4, Article 23.
Available at: https://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/medical/vol44/iss4/23