Aim: The aim of this study was to evaluate the use of genome amplification methods [polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and reverse transcription (RT)-PCR] for detection of common respiratory viruses (RSV: respiratory syncytial virus, PIV3: parainfluenza virus 3, IVA: influenza virus type A, IVB: influenza virus type B and adenovirus) in nasal wash specimens of infants with acute lower respiratory tract infection (ALRI). Materials and Methods: The nasal and serum samples taken from 90 infants with ALRI were analyzed by genome amplification methods and ELISA. Results: In ELISA, specific IgM to only one virus and to multiple viruses was present in 39 (43.3%) and 7 (7.7%) of the serum samples, respectively. Therefore, IgM positivity to at least one virus was detected in 46 (51.1%) of the serum samples. In the genome amplification methods in nasal samples, 62 (68.8%) of these samples were positive for only one virus, whereas 9 (10%) of the samples were found to be positive for multiple viruses. Therefore, a total of 71 (78.8%) samples were accepted as positive with at least one virus. Conclusions: As a result, we recommend use of the genome amplification methods in nasal wash specimens for diagnosis of the respiratory viruses in ALRI infants.
Acute lower respiratory tract infection, ALRI, infant, PCR, respiratory viruses
BULUT, YASEMİN; ŞEN, YAŞAR; GÖDEKMERDAN, AHMET; ÖZDİLLER, ŞÜKRAN; and TORAMAN, ZÜLAL AŞÇI (2007) "Use of Nasal Samples and Genom Amplification Methods for Detection of Respiratory Viruses in Infants with Acute Lower Respiratory Tract Infection," Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences: Vol. 37: No. 1, Article 6. Available at: https://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/medical/vol37/iss1/6