Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences

Urinary Albumin Excretion in Normal Subjects and in Diabetic Patients Measured by an Enzymeimmunoassay: Methodological and Clinical Aspects




We have developed an enzymeimmunoassay (EIA) method to measure urinary albumin excretion. The albumin excretion rate (AER) (µg/min) of 93 healthy subjects and 116 diabetic patients (64 type l, 52 type ll) was determined. The validation results indicate that the EIA is a useful diagnostic tool. About 65 % of the diabetic patients lay within the normal range. The other 35% could be considered Òat riskÓ to develop overt diabetic nephropathy because their albuminuria exceeded a threshold level of 15 µg/min, chosen previously as the cutoff value for microalbuminuria. The AER of the normoalbuminuric type l and type ll diabetic patients was significantly higher than that of the controls (P


Microalbuminuria, albumin excretion rate, diabetic nephropathy, diabetes mellitus, enzymeimmunoassay

First Page


Last Page


This document is currently not available here.