Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences
Background/aim: Tuberculous peritonitis may be di cult to diagnose due to its insidious and variable clinical manifestations as well as characteristics similar to malignancy. In this study, case reports from Turkey over the last 10 years were reviewed systematically using pooled analysis. Materials and methods: irty-four suitable articles were found and 163 tuberculous peritonitis cases were included in the study. Results: e mean age was 34.1 years (17?79 years), and 146 (98.6%) of the patients were female and 17 (10.4%) were male. e most common complaints of these patients were abdominal pain (77.4%) and abdominal distention (73.5%). Ascites in the abdomen (75%), fever (42%), abdominal tenderness (33%), and abdominal distention (30.7%) were the most common physical examination ndings. e mean adenosine deaminase level was 120.3 IU/L. In the subsets of patients with relevant data, acid-fast bacilli were found in 23.3%, culture was positive in 22.2%, and Mycobacterium tuberculosis polymerase chain reaction was positive in 20%. In abdominal imaging, ascites was reported in 92%. Elevated serum CA-125 was reported in 96.7% of the patients. Of 105 patients with data available following the antituberculous therapy prognosis, four (3.8%) died and the other 101 (96.2%) showed good treatment response. Conclusion: Tuberculous peritonitis should be kept in mind during the di erential diagnosis of patients admitted with the triad of ascites, fever, and abdominal distention.
Tuberculosis, peritonitis, adenosine deaminase, Turkey
SUNTUR, BEDİA MUTAY and KUŞCU, FERİT
"Pooled analysis of 163 published tuberculous peritonitis cases from Turkey,"
Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences: Vol. 48:
2, Article 16.
Available at: https://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/medical/vol48/iss2/16