Authors: Gülay BIYIKOĞLU, Ahmet DOĞANAY
Abstract: In this study, effects of praziquantel and albendazole on Coenurus cerabralis were investigated. For this purpose, 5 dogs aged 2.5-3 months and 21 akkaraman lambs aged 3-4 months were used. Three dogs were infected with Coenurus cerebralis protoscoleces, then the eggs collected from their feces were given to the lambs. Approximately 5500 eggs were given to each lamb. The lambs were divided into three groups consisting of 7 lambs each. The drug administration started at the first day of the occurrence of the semptoms of coenurosis. Praziquantel a dose of 25 mg/kg for 3 days and albendazole a dose of 10 mg/kg for 14 days were given to the first and to the second group respectively. The third group was kept as control. Four lambs from the first group and 3 lambs from the second group were able to survive until the programmed necropsy date but the others died. Clinical recovery was observed in two sheep from both group until the day that necropsy was performed. It was found that 21 (60%) of 35 cysts were degenerated and 14 (40%) of 35 cysts were death in praziquantel treatment group. Ten (23.80%) of 42 cysts were degenerated, 13 (30.95%) of 42 cysts were death and 19 (45.23%) of 42 cysts were alive in albendazole treatment group. It was determined that 34 (97.14%) of the 35 cysts were alive in the control group while the remaining 1 (2.85%) was had calcification. The protoscoleces that were obtained from the animals in both drug administration groups were orally given to 2 diferent dogs, but no mature cestod was observed in these dogs.
Keywords: Coenurus cerebralis, praziquantel, albendazole, sheep, lambs
Full Text: PDF